We plan. We organize. We think up projects. We try things and we test them out. We educate brilliant JamMasters to teach our classes. And we welcome curious Jammers to attend.
We’re CraftJam. We do a lot. But the most important thing we do as a company is make.
We make time to help each other. And we make it a priority to embrace our differences. Our team feels safe and heard just the way they are, because we make sure of it.
We value honesty, ambition, empathy, teamwork, and the personal bests that make us who we are. We fix our mistakes together and are made better from them.
Making works well for us.
If you’re excited to bring us your amazing, eclectic skills, then let’s make the best of it together.
What is CraftJam
CraftJam (http://craftjam.co/) is a fast-growing New York-based startup that designs, hosts and manages real world DIY workshop events. We connect students, teachers, and retail partners. Our workshops are created in-house and are exclusively taught in our events. CraftJam is currently bootstrapped and founded by a serial entrepreneur who has raised money for her previous startup from Khosla Ventures, Collaborative Fund, Allen & Co, 500 Startups, and others.
We’re a fun, hard working and talented team and you have the chance to enable and make hip arts and crafts with a group of passionate business and craft folks. Learning from cutting edge application of technology to a traditional market environment.
Find more info about our open positions below.
Head of Operations
We’re looking for an entrepreneurial-minded head of operations, who
- Helps shape the strategy and business model, and build out this venture
- Keeps the trains running on time by building lightweight processes and controls
- Keeps us on track - and communicates to our stakeholders effectively - by establishing, measuring and reporting on key metrics
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to
- Developing and executing business development and marketing strategies.
- Ensuring that goals are kept or adjusted.
- Co-leading fundraising and partnership recruitment and management.
- Managing recruitment and HR-processes, on-boarding of new hires, setting up and running performance reviews and bonus programs.Directing supply sourcing and management processes.
- Researching and implementing software that helps to be more efficient.
- Working closely with accountant and bookkeeper to ensure bills are paid and receivables are timely, as well as payments for freelancers/JamMaster are current.
- Understanding the right equipment and security, as well the right software.
- Updateing and analyzing metrics.
- Overseeing corporate sales.
- Overseeing events logistics.
- Helping to build financial models to support business development and planning.
- Finding solutions for our office and studio space.
You will create reports so that all employees understand how they’re performing against the set financial and operational goals like sales targets, content creation, cash burn, hiring pipeline, office expense budgets, etc. You will recommend the right things to measure, and keep management focused on pushing the high-priority levers to keep the business moving in the right direction.
Key to early-stage startups is the ability to pull external resources into the company. Whether it’s capital or professional services or software, you know that startups need to rely on the startup ecosystem for many of the functions that larger companies would have in-house. Finding those resources and negotiating those agreements efficiently is an important part of building a fast-growing company.
- MBA degree or equivalent job experience in various functional roles (sales, marketing, engineering, finance, customer support) at different sized companies or within a consulting company.
- Exceptional project management skills and high attention to detail.
- Outgoing and interested in events.
- Ability to work independently and in group environments.
- Ideally 1-2 years experience in startup environment.
- You like making things or you are open and excited to learn how.
You are an early startup-person: understanding that we need hands-on people ready to do everything from building board-facing financial projections, to managing an office move, to filling out hiring paperwork and even taking out the trash and cleaning a tables (we all do that). You possess a good cross-functional understanding and eagerness to get the details right, to build the platform on which the company can grow.
Location: New York City
Terms: Equity, Full-time
If you’re interested to learn more, please send a cover letter and CV to Nora Abousteit email@example.com.
Editorial/Creative Internship at CraftJam
CraftJam is seeking an editorial intern in New York City. This internship is an exciting opportunity for a young professional who loves crafting and DIY and who wants to grow their editorial and social media skill sets in a dynamic, fast-paced environment while experiencing the of excitement of a growing start up company. We are looking for an intern with a great work ethic and good sense of humor, who knows how to write engaging content with millennial sensibility.
The intern will work closely with the head of content to research trends, help with craft project creation, write blog posts and workshop descriptions and contribute to our social media accounts, as well as assist in photo and video shoots.
We’re looking for someone with wit and a style, who has a strong command of popular culture and is clever social media and internet user. Smart humor and the ability to understand and make cultural references are a must.
The potential intern should be willing to commit to at least 15 hours a week (Monday through Friday) for a duration of at least three months at the CraftJam office in Flatiron. This position requires attention to detail, as well as strong research and writing skills, and the ideal candidate should be highly motivated and full of ideas. Knowledge in crafting and DIY is appreciated as well as great sense of humor.
- Help to brainstorm and execute editorial and social media content including researching and writing blog posts, aggregating topics for posting on social media.
- Assist in the creation of projects for CraftJams, including research, writing project descriptions, and making sample projects.
- Helping with press collaborations.
- Assist on photo and video shoots for projects and campaigns including material preparation, tracking of shoot checklists and troubleshooting.
- A passion for writing and producing engaging content for web and print
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge in crafts e.g. knitting, hand lettering, macrame, drawing, embroidery etc.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Organized and detail oriented
- Proficiency in Apple products including Mac and Keynote, as well as Google products including Docs.
- Photography and design skills, as well as knowledge of Photoshop a definite plus!
- Must be available to work 10 - 20 hours per week. Work time is flexible as long as deadlines are kept.
To apply please email your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit two short writing samples and links to your social media accounts that reflect best your writing style along with your application.
Perhaps you learned knitting from grandma, or jewelry making from a friend. The gift of crafting forms bonds, and creates lasting memories. Share your gift by becoming a JamMaster, a certified CraftJam teacher.
As a JamMaster, you’ll inspire smalls groups of people with your crafting passion – and earn money doing it. Apply here!