Modern Calligraphy 1 + 2
Calligraphy is a millennia-old art form, with its roots in both Eastern and Western cultures traditionally used for illuminated manuscripts and formal writing. Modern calligraphy spurs from this by using both new and traditional tools: it’s a more free form style of writing that maintains the elegance of traditional calligraphy while allowing for more self-expression.
In session 1 of this CraftJam, on October 25, you will learn:
- What is modern calligraphy and how is it different from traditional calligraphy and hand lettering?
- An introduction to pointed pen calligraphy
- How to prepare a nib for first-time use and how to put the pen together
- How to practice with a straight pen holder
- The importance of pressure in calligraphy
- The 8 basic strokes, which you will use to form letters of your own
- The lowercase alphabet
- How to connect letters and review tricky combinations
In session 2 of this CraftJam, on November 1, you will learn:
- Pointed pen and connections
- The uppercase alphabet
- Tips and tricks for various types of ink and paper
- Basic flourishing techniques
- How to make guidelines for calligraphy and how to apply these to envelopes
- Distribution of resources list for further study
Completely new to this craft? Not to worry, this is the right workshop for you! Learn the foundational skills needed to get started and to complete a beautiful, modern craft project in two hours. Expect to learn the very basics – from materials, to set up, to starting your project – before moving on to work on your final project.
New to our virtual workshops? Learn all about how they work here.