Hand Lettering 1 + 2
Learn techniques of hand lettering in our two session Beginner Hand Lettering 1 + 2, hosted on June 19 & 26. Part 1 will introduce basic techniques and Part 2 will provide an opportunity to build on what you learned in the first session.
Hand lettering can be simply defined as “the art of drawing letters” – it is a specific combination of letterforms crafted for single use, often hand-drawn, with pens, graphite or brushes. Our JamMaster will introduce you to the basic techniques of hand lettering and guide you in adding decoration and detail to your letters.
In Part 1 on September 18, you will learn:
- Introduction to lettering styles.
- Defining the difference between typography, calligraphy, and lettering.
- Tips for successful pencil sketches.
- Draw script, sans serif, and serif.
In Part 2 on September 25, you will learn:
- Advanced techniques on designing and embellishing letters.
- To take inspiration from hand lettering examples.
- Tricks for adding drop shadows using a perspective grid.
- Working with curved baselines and and lettering within a shape.
- Designing basic layouts for hand lettered compositions.
- Define and practice your own unique style of hand lettering.
Completely new to this craft? Not to worry, this is the right workshop for you! Learn the foundational skills needed to get started and to complete a beautiful, modern craft project in an hour and a half. Expect to learn the very basics – from materials, to set up, to starting your project – before moving on to work on your final project.
New to our virtual workshops? Learn all about how they work here.
Need hand lettering supplies? Gather supplies from around your house!
- Markers (thick and thin)
- Micron Pen or Other Fine Tip Pen
- Tracing Paper or Light Tracer
- Compass (or something round to trace)
- PDF download of CraftJam Hand Lettering Workbook