Learn everything you ever wanted to know about getting started with calligraphy! Based on our popular Modern Calligraphy series, the Calligraphy Bootcamp offers an all-in-one approach to learning about the tools of the trade for calligraphy. In 3 hours, calligrapher Danielle Rothman will teach you how to use a gel pen, marker, and traditional pen and ink to make beautiful writing that reflects your personal style.
Please note: this class is meant to be taken instead of the 3-session class, not in addition.
Calligraphy is a millennia-old art form, with its roots in both Eastern and Western cultures. Traditionally, calligraphy was used for illuminated manuscripts and formal writing. Modern calligraphy, the focus of this class, used both new and traditional tools to create a more free-form style of writing that maintains the elegance of traditional calligraphy while allowing for more self-expression.
This class is beginner-friendly; no experience necessary! We will have all the supplies and materials ready for you. During in class exercises you will create a name card and several greeting cards for friends and family. You will also receive a brush marker and dip pen (with nib!) for you to continue practicing at home.
- What is modern calligraphy? How is it different from traditional calligraphy and hand lettering?
- Introduction to brush calligraphy
- Practicing the 8 basic strokes, which you will use to form letters of your own
- Learn faux calligraphy
- Practice writing the alphabet in calligraphy (worksheets will be provided)
- Introduction to pointed pen calligraphy, including how to prepare a nib for first-time use and how to put the pen together
- Learn how to use a straight pen holder
- Make greeting cards using your preferred method
- Discuss resources and receive a supply list for further study
Also, we are BYOB friendly, so bring a drink of your choice. There will be a 20 minute break where you will be able to go grab a quick lunch or feel free to bring lunch with you!
This class is especially good for people who love hand lettering, want to use calligraphy in their upcoming nuptials, or already know how to write letters and would like to learn the basics of traditional calligraphy.