Calligraphy is a millenia-old art form, with its roots in both Eastern and Western cultures traditionally used for illuminated manuscripts and formal writing. Modern calligraphy spurs from this by using both new and traditional tools: it’s a more free form style of writing that maintains the elegance of traditional calligraphy while allowing for more self-expression.
In three sessions, calligrapher Danielle Rothman will introduce you to the basic techniques of brush and pointed pen calligraphy and guide you through exercises to enhance your skills. This workshop series will focus on two methods: brush calligraphy and pointed pen (also called dip pen) calligraphy. By learning both, you will have a variety of tools at your disposal to create unique pieces of art.
Session 1: Brush Calligraphy Basics (7/10/18)
- What is modern calligraphy? How is it different from traditional calligraphy and hand lettering?
- Introduction to brush calligraphy
- Discussion about the importance of pressure in calligraphy
- Practicing the 8 basic strokes, which you will use to form letters of your own
- Practice forming letters with faux calligraphy
- Writing a name card using a sample alphabet
Session 2: Pointed Pen and Connections (7/17/18)
- Review of brush calligraphy and additional practice
- Practice connecting letters and review tricky combinations
- Introduction to pointed pen calligraphy
- How to prepare a nib for first-time use and how to put the pen together
- Practicing with a straight pen holder
- Making greeting cards using your preferred method
Session 3: Envelopes and Guidelines (7/24/18)
Introduction to envelope art
- Learn how to make guidelines for calligraphy
- Create beautiful envelopes
- Review all lessons and materials
- Distribution of resources list for further study
This class is beginner-friendly; no experience necessary! We will have all the supplies and materials ready for you. During in class exercises you will create a name card, several greeting cards for friends and family, and fun envelope art. You will also receive a brush marker and dip pen (with nib!) for you to continue practicing at home. And in case you are left handed, lefties are welcome to attend class!
This class is especially good for people who love hand lettering, want to use calligraphy in their upcoming nuptials, or already know how to write letters and would like to learn the basics of traditional calligraphy.
Also, we are BYOB friendly, so bring a drink of your choice.
Danielle Rothman is a modern calligrapher who builds community through art and instruction. She has a passion for teaching calligraphy and has helped more than 300 students write beautifully! See more of her designs on her website at Rothbyrns Creative and Instagram.
CraftJams are hosted in an intimate setting with a twelve attendee maximum. Make sure to purchase your ticket before the event is sold out!