After the huge success of our CraftJam Academy: Hand Lettering Workshop we have created a new workshop to bring you even deeper into the art of drawing letters. We present you our Modern Calligraphy Workshop.
Calligraphy is a millenia-old art form, with its roots in both Eastern and Western cultures traditionally used for illuminated manuscripts and formal writing. Modern calligraphy spurs from this by using both new and traditional tools: it’s a more free form style of writing that maintains the elegance of traditional calligraphy while allowing for more self-expression.
In three sessions, calligrapher Danielle Rothman will introduce you to the basic techniques of brush and pointed pen calligraphy and guide you through exercises to enhance your skills. This workshop series will focus on two methods: brush calligraphy and pointed pen (also called dip pen) calligraphy. By learning both, you will have a variety of tools at your disposal to create unique pieces of art.
Session 1 - June 14th:
- What is modern calligraphy? How is it different from traditional calligraphy and hand lettering?
- Introduction to brush calligraphy
- Discussion about the importance of pressure in calligraphy
- Practicing the 8 basic strokes, which you will use to form letters of your own
- Writing a name card using a sample alphabet
Session 2 - June 21st:
- Review of brush calligraphy and additional practice
- Introduction to pointed pen calligraphy, including how to prepare a nib for first-time use and how to put the pen together
- Practicing with a straight pen holder
- Making greeting cards using your preferred method
Session 3 - June 28th:
- Review pointed pen calligraphy and additional practice
- Introduction to envelope art
- Create beautiful envelopes
- Review all lessons and materials
- Distribution of resources list for further study
This class is beginner-friendly; no experience necessary! We will have all the supplies and materials ready for you. During in class exercises you will create a name card, several greeting cards for friends and family, and fun envelope art. You will also receive a brush marker and dip pen (with nib!) for you to continue practicing at home.
Also, we are BYOB friendly, so bring a drink of your choice.
This class is especially good for people who love hand lettering, want to use calligraphy in their upcoming nuptials, or already know how to write letters and would like to learn the basics of traditional calligraphy.
Other Available Dates