Do you know the basics of knitting but want to move on to more advanced projects? Are you a beanie aficionado ready to design your own? If so, then get ready for some circular knitting!
In our newest CraftJam Academy, knitwear designer Alexi Tavel will introduce you to the magic of beanie making. Through in-class demonstrations and weekly home assignments, you will learn the basics of knitting in the round using circular needles and double pointed needles in just 2 sessions. Students are able to complete endless projects on their own after taking this class as well as creating their own designs confidently.
1st week: (3/28/2017)
- learn the basic structure of a knitted beanie, discuss different brims (rolled, ribbed, folded) and, and learn the difference between shaped versus gathered crowns
- learn how to determine the number of stitches to cast on
- choose a brim style, stitch pattern, and crown shaping structure
- in class: cast on and begin hat, working with circular needles
- homework: complete work up to crown shaping
2nd week: (4/4/2017)
- go over previous week's work and examine each project, addressing any problems
- begin crown shaping, working with double pointed needles
- learn how to finish off the top of the beanie
- learn how to make a pompom with nothing but your hands
To take this class you should have some basic knowledge of knitting. Skills required are casting on, knit stitch, and purl stitch.
We will have all the supplies and materials ready for you, including yarn and knitting needles. Also, we are BYOB friendly, so bring a drink of your choice.
Alexi Tavel is a talented knitwear designer with a modern approach to a timeless art form. Her company Two of Wands is known for its trendy knitwear pieces that you can either purchase ready made or as a pattern to make yourself. She has also collaborated with big brands such as Lion Brand and DMC.