CRAFTJAM ACADEMY: LEARN TO CROCHET AND MAKE A SCARF
Crochet is a fun and fast alternative to knitting that produces a fabric perfect for winter accessories, clothing, and even bags. In our Crochet CraftJam Academy, designer Katie Jagel from The Queen Stitch will introduce you in 2 sessions to the basics of crochet and guide you through your first crochet project, a scarf!
Through in-class demonstrations and home assignments, you’ll learn the basics of crochet, giving you the ability to follow thousands of existing patterns and maybe even design some of your own.
Students will learn the foundations of crochet – chain st, single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, and slip stitch – as well as simple increases and decrease and how to seam projects together. Students are able to complete endless projects on their own after taking this class.
1st week: Introduction to crochet
- Brief history and modern application of crochet
- Reading a pattern
- How to hold a hook
- How to start a crochet project
- Slip knot
- The chain stitch
- The single crochet
- The double crochet
- Homework: Scarf
2nd week: Review, additional stitches and and further education
- Review previous week and work
- Increases and decreases
- The half double crochet
- Increasing and decreasing in sc, hdc, dc
- Resources for further education
- Brief intro of crocheting in the round, and granny squares
- Resources for further education: where to find patterns, good places to watch tutorials, freebies
This class is beginner-friendly; no experience necessary! We will have all the supplies and materials ready for you, including yarn and hooks.
Also, we are BYOB friendly, so bring a drink of your choice.